Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekend Favorite: Pancakes

First of all, let me start by saying, Tim and I went to 2 different farmers markets yesterday, and had a blast... we got a new-to-us product called pepper grass cress that literally tastes like watercress with black pepper on it.  So intriguing.  We also got some farm fresh eggs, grass fed beef, buffalo wings (I'm not sure which part of the chicken is its buffalo wing, but I'd love for it to show me sometime :) ), green onions, lettuce, pickled okra, tomatoes, cilantro, and a few other goodies I'm sure I'm forgetting.  If you can find a place near you to buy locally, do it.  It's great for the economy, and you get better products generally speaking, even if it is slightly more expensive. 

So on to the recipe of the day... I tried to make low-carb pancakes before and it was a tottttaaalllll fail... They weren't sweet, they were too thick and dry, and overall, we did not care for them.  So this weekend, I got a new idea, tried it, and it went super well.  Hope you enjoy.

Things you'll need:
2 cups Almond Flour (the best I've found so far is at Trader Joes.  If you're not close to a TJ's or a place that sells almond flour or almond meal, which is basically the same, you can get almonds and grind them in a coffee grinder.  You just want them to be completely ground up, and have no big "pieces" in them.)
This is what I get at TJ's.  It's in the "Nuts" section, named both for the content and the people who purchase it.

1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 packets of Splenda
Optional: If you are in a place in your diet where you are allowed to have chocolate, you can add chocolate chips as well.  Dark chocolate are most recommended because they have a lower carb count.  (Minis are probably better if you can find them, because 1 tbsp of the big ones was NOT that many haha)

Put your pan/skillet on the stove to let it get hot.  Prep it with whatever oil you are going to use, or Pam if you use that, and let it heat up.

Meanwhile, add all the ingredients together, and stir.  It's super simple, and really good in the end.  It should be a just-thicker-than-soup texture.  

Texture of the batter.
Then, just like you would with regular pancakes, spoon the batter into the pan, or onto your skillet.  I made my about sand dollar size, and it yielded 10. 
Before...
After.  
Enjoy, let me know how it goes, and let me know what you add to them.  Always looking for good ideas. 

Coming soon: Pico de gallo, pesto, and hopefully some kind of bread... I'm still working out how to make that best!

Maintain,

Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment